What makes me think I'd be a better president than anyone else? I've come up with a list:
1. What you see is what you get. I will not lie to you. If elected, I will institute here in the US a weekly period for me to go to Capitol Hill and answer questions from members of congress. Many other countries' leaders do this, including: the UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and India. Maybe C-Span will carry it, just like it does the British Prime Minister's Questions.
2. War. I believe that as a nation we should only involve ourselves in just wars. Pre-emptive military actions are not just wars. I also believe that if we find ourselves in a postion of having to fight a war, that people who are trained to lead wars should lead them, not civilians. I am in favor of maintaining a strong military that is properly equipped to defend our nation. Further, there are some things that America is just not about, and that includes torture and indefinite detention of prisoners without a hearing. We don't toss out our Bill of Rights just willy-nilly.
3. Poverty. There is no reason that anyone in the USA should not be able to put food on the table. Ours is the wealthiest nation in the world and it is a travesty that Americans are homeless and hungry. Government should not get bigger to resolve this problem, but encourage private citizens and charitable foundations to take care of our fellow Americans, our brothers and sisters.
4. Foreign Relations. I am in favor of third world debt forgiveness. Most of those countries are trying to develop and they can't get ahead because they're paying the US and other countries back enormous loans. They can't pay down the principal; they are only paying the interest on these loans. It's time we, the wealthiest nation in the world, stopped getting rich off the backs of the poor nations and gave them a chance to hang onto their resources to make the lives of their citizens better.
It's also time we regained our national dignity. We are a laughingstock on the world stage and that is unacceptable.
5. Domestic Issues:
- We need a balanced budget. We need to use our resourcew wisely and not spend what we don't have.
- On abortion: It is a sad commentary on our country that a woman who finds herself frightened and desperate because of an unplanned pregnancy feels that she has no other choice than to kill her unborn child. For that woman to be so desperate reflects poorly on all of us. We need to encourage social programs that will help these women. Abortion needs to be illegal, but, even more, it needs to be unnecessary.
- On the death penalty: I do not believe it is a deterrent to crime and that a civilized nation such as ours has no need for it.
- On gun control: People have the right to protect themselves, but there is no reason why the average American needs to own military grade weapons when we live in a time where there is a standing army.
- I am a firm believer in term limits. If you can get it done in two terms (President and Senate, 4 for the House), you're never gonna get it done. It's time to move on and let someone else try.
I realize that some of my fellow Americans will have a problem with voting for a Catholic. Some folks think that voting for someone whose Catholic faith is as much a part of her person as her eye color will turn DC into Vatican West. First, let me say that I think the pope has better things do to than to get himself involved in the mess that is American politics. But I will also borrow liberally here from Hilaire Belloc, noted French-born Catholic statesman who served in England at a time when it was even less cool to be Catholic than it is now:
My fellow Americans, I attend Mass each Sunday and I am a Catholic educator and evangelist. I have considered the teachings of my Church and I have decided she is right. My Catholic faith is a part of me; the better part of me. If that offends you, I pray that God may spare me the indignity of serving you as President of the United States.
If you like what I have to say, you need to start praying for campaign finance reform. See, I don't think I'd get picked up by the Republicans or the Democrats and I am not rich like a Kennedy.
Do you think I should run? Tell me in the poll on my sidebar.