Tuesday, March 17, 2009

don't show this to your hips

...what they don't know can't hurt them.

Here for your eating pleasure is the recipe I use to make Irish Potatoes (buttercream candies). They are called Irish Potatoes because they look like little tiny taters when you're all done. They are ridiculously easy to make and they taste like it took you hours. Here's what you need:

2 sticks of room temperature, really soft, salted butter
7 oz coconut flakes
1 lb. box of confectioners' sugar
bloop of vanilla extract (maybe 1 T. if I bothered to measure)
ground cinnamon to cover, probably about 1/4 cup (see measuring this above)

In a large mixing bowl, thoroughly combine everything but the cinnamon. put cinnamon in a smaller bowl and park it on the side.
Take little bits of the mix in your hand and form them into balls that have the diameter of a quarter. Roll in the cinnamon to coat. Eat and enjoy. Try to save some for other people. Makes about 40 Irish Potatoes. Maybe. Not that I bothered to count.
I used a spoon today to mix it, but my butter was really soft. It took me less than 5 minutes to combine it all, probably closer to 2 or 3. I don't use a mixer ever for this one and I'm not sure how a hand mixer would do. Maybe a stand-up deal would knock it out even faster, but I wouldn't know since I don't have one! ;) Start to finish this took me half an hour. They keep in the fridge for 7-10 days, bu they don't ever last that long in our house.

Got to pack for NOLA. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

1 comment:

Kate P said...

Belated happy St. Paddy's Day! This recipe looks way easier than the one someone else gave me--thanks for sharing it! :)