I saw this over at Aimee's blog and it seemed like fun, so I thought I'd try it, too because it's a new year and I'm all about
Here are the rules: You put your song player (in my case iTunes since my iPod hasn't been charged in ages-don't tell Scott) on shuffle and you type out the opening lyrics (unless they reveal the name of the song). Aimee did 15 songs, the meme originally said 25. We'll see what I feel like doing.
Can you name some? Can you name one? If so, leave your answers (songs and artists) in the comments. Now that I'm done, I going to say good luck. Some of these are HARD! I have kids music in here, too, and one song is not even sung by a real person (well, technically, it's the voice of a real person, but the song is not performed by a human being). One artist appears twice.
Special thanks to SongLyrics.com for being there so I could cut and paste a lot of these words.
January 3: I'll give it till tomorrow night ( January 4) and I'll start putting up some clues. I cross-posted this on my facebook profile. Scott's answers were from facebook. Please don't think I'm all smug and know the answers because if I hadn't written this all up and kept a list, I couldn't get half of them right.
But it's all right now. I learned my lesson well. You see, you can't please everyone, so you got to please yourself. We said we'd walk together and become one in the night. And come the twilight should we lose our way. And as we're walking and your hand should slip away well I would wait forever..."If I should fall behind," by Bruce Springsteen, go on Marguerite! Keys cut, three for the price of one. Nothing's free but guaranteed for a lifetime's use. I've changed the locks and you can't have one. You, you know the other two.Marguerite called it: "Star me Kitten" by REM Oh Yeah! All right! Are you gonna be in my dreams-tonight?
- You fell down of course and then you got up of course and started over. Forgot my name of course and then you started to remember. This act's frontman does a lot of side work which has taken a up a lot of his time lately. They have a colorful name.
- (song title repeated 4 times) I don't care what they they say. I don't care what they they do. I don't care what they they say. (Song title) Oh yeah! This is a song from the '70's. Think Rerun and his tape recorder. And The Lord.
- Long time, no see. Showtime for you and me. So fine, so good. We're on the road like you knew we would. First night so long. State of mind: What can go wrong? This group is sometime happy sometimes sad. You just don't know with them.
(Song title) in the way she moves attracts me like no other lover. (song title) in the way that she woos me. Don't want to leave her now, better believe and how.Yes, Aimee, this is Something, written by George Harrison (which I do have), but my computer picked the cover by Sinatra. (song title 2x) You can stand me up at the gates of hell but (song title) well, I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around, no (song title)Aimee gets it again: "I won't back down" by Tom Petty (song title in French 4x) Hans plays with Lottie, Lottie plays with Jane, Jane plays with Willie, Willie is happy again.Scott got "Games without frontiers" by Peter Gabriel Down the street you can hear her scream, "You're a disgrace!" as she slams the door in his drunken face and now he stands outside and all the neighbors start to gossip and drool.Scott got "castles in the Sand," by Jimi Hendrix. I would swallow my pride, I would choke on the rinds, But the lack thereof would leave me empty inside.This is "inside Out" by Eve 6 guessed by Scott. I went to a weekend fair, met someone while I was there. We put flowers in our hair and rode the (song title).Marguerite guessed my favorite Dan Zanes song, "Wonder Wheel."
- There are windows on the water Lighting up the silver strand
Shining on the sea Shining on the sea And the ocean's just a player On an old piano Who repeats one melody Who repeats one melody One of the members of this band (which has a shifting lineup and name) is an unlikely father.
You'll remember me when the west wind movesIndeed, Aimee, "Fields of Gold" by Sting, but not the only Gordon Sumner song on the list.
Upon the fields of barley. You'll forget the sun in his jealous sky...
- You'll never see--the courage I know. Its colours' richness won't appear within your view. I'll never glow--the way that you glow.
Your presence dominates the judgments made on you. This is a song by a girl who's really angsty. And fruity.
- The sun rises to another day. My constitution keeps changing
'Til it slips away. So I lie awake and stare. My mind thinking, just wandering does anybody care? The group is something to believe in.
If the night turned cold And the stars looked downYes, Marguerite: "It's probably me" by Sting. Rob is probably kicking himself for not getting that one!
And you hug yourself On the cold, cold ground
You wake the morning In a stranger's coat No one would you see (colors in this sentence are a clue to the artist's identity-and it's NOT Charlie Brown. Think insect. )
- Everytime I feel alone and slightly blue, that's when I begin to think just what I'd like to start to do. And even though it might not be the kind of thing that's quite your cup of tea, I recommend you pay attention to the little dance you're gonna see.This is your song presented by a non-human. This Song From the Street is (indirectly) about his favorite animals.
You can dance ev'ry dance with the guy who gave you the eye, let him hold you tight. You can smile ev'ry smile for the man who holds your hand 'neath the pale moonlight.Aimee got "Save the last dance for me" this version by the Drifters I've seen the Rolling Stones, forgot about Johnny Rotten, saw the Who back in '69. Saw Bobby Seal talkin' to the Panthers, sayin' just what he had on his mind.Yes, Rob via Aimee guesses "Stand for Something," by John Mellencamp.
- I will be kind won't be so cruel I will be sweet I will be true
The pains of love you'll quickly learn Are soon to heat and quick to burn. This song is from a solo album of a big-lipped classic rocker who is still on the road.
(This is the chorus:) Yes, I've finally found a reason Don't need an excuse I've got this time on my hands You are the one to abuseScott correctly identified "Touch Peel and stand" by Days of the new, which he says, "was on ALL the time when I would be driving down rt. 309 from DeSales to come see" me. So long ago. Was it in a dream? Was it just a dream? I know, yes I know. It seemed so very real, seemed so real to me.I'm giving you this one, Marguerite, the name of the song is technically "#9 dream," by John Lennon. Oh, a storm is threat'ning My very life today. If I don't get some shelter Oh yeah, I'm gonna fade away.Scott guessed "Gimme Shelter" by the Rolling Stones...and is correct!