Thursday, February 19, 2009

A bone to pick

This time with "Time for Kids" magazine. This gets distributed in schools across America, including Primo's Catholic school.

Now, I understand that the inauguration of our country's first not-all-white president is a big deal. However, "Time for Kids" seems to be totally in love with Obama. We had the gushy, mushy inauguration edition where we found out everything an 8 year old would want to know about inauguration day except what the president ate for breakfast that morning (Do demi-gods even need to eat?). We found out that his inauguration day was the third coldest ever at 27 degrees (Ronald Reagan's second inauguration was the coldest at 7 degrees).

This week, in what ostensibly would be the Abraham Lincoln edition (he is featured prominently on the cover, like his whole face takes up the front of it), here reads the final paragraph: "Lincoln's Ideas Live On: On January 20, President Barack Obama called on Americans 'to carry forward...the God-given promise that all are equal, all are free.' Lincoln would have joined his call."

whaaaa?????
Silly me. I thought the cover story was about Abe Lincoln. Why does it have to go back to Barack? When I brought this up to my husband last night, Scott said, "I wonder how Lincoln would feel about the killing of unborn babies?"
I'm not ready to call this brainwashing or inculturation...yet, but don't you think that final paragraph is just weird?

3 comments:

Barb Szyszkiewicz said...

Before you toss out that brainwashing theory, read the grownup version of TIME. I think you'll stick with the theory.

Aimee said...

I loathe TFK. Francie gets it from her school as well, and I usually get rid of it before she reads it. The thing that makes me love her teacher is that she will not hand it out if there are things that she feels are inappropriate for the children. Of course, I end up having a bone to pick with almost every issue, but I'm not a big fan of the grown up version either ;)

Kate P said...

Don't ask that second to last question of so-called Philadelphia Catholics b/c you won't like the answer.

This reminds me of the time my mom was ticked because one of my brother's high school teachers had the students subscribing to "Maryknoll magazine."