Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Here comes Debbie Downer...

I feel like a wrung-out dishrag inside.

Shortly after I completed the previous post, I went to pick up Primo from school today and his teacher asked me if I can come inside for a minute. Usually this is indicative of a behavior problem such as, "Primo spilled his juice on another boy at snack time."

This time it was, "I think Primo might have a learning problem. You should make an appointment with his pedicatrician to see where you can get him evaluated. If you catch it now, you could probably work through it before he gets to first grade." He'll be in Kindergarten next year. She outlined for me all of the things that he's been having trouble with pretty much all year. He alternately has no problems for a week or two, then all of a sudden she has to stand right next to him to get him to do his schoolwork.

I'm not going to go into all of his symptoms here. I don't think he has a serious difficulty like autism, and I don't think he's ADD either. Our insurance will pay for an evaluation and we'll figure out what if anything is up with him.

But when she told me this, having been through the wringer with the woman last night and the pregnancy hormones raging, I just started crying a little. Poor ol' Primo was right in the room playing. I tried really hard to keep it together and I couldn't. So, I got it together enough to walk him out of the building but without talking since I ddin't want him to witness a shaky mommy and he looks up at me and says, "Mommy, I'm sorry I didn't get all of my tables done today. I didn't mean it. I'm really really sorry." I tried to reassure him that I wasn't upset because he didn't get his tables done, but I don't think I was particularly convincing.

He's really a bright kid. He's reading on a first grade level and he's not 5 yet. He's very interested in science and lots of things, but he won't pay attention long enough to do simple things he is more than capable of finishing.

So, off I go to bed at 8:00 p.m. I can't stay up much longer. If I weren't pregnant, I'd be polishing off the Bailey's in my fridge right now. Tomorrow will be a better day, for sure. right?

No comments: