Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Guess what I got in the mail yesterday?

I got a mailing from the Quixote Center, who have proudly tilting at windmills since 1976. Rev. Bill Callahan and Ms. Rea Howarth asked me to send them some money so they can put a full page ad in the the National Catholic Reporter calling for the ordination of women.

Ha. I thought to myself. You sent this to the wrong chick!

I sent them a letter which stated: "I do not now, nor will I ever support the ordination of women as priests. Please remove me from your mailing list. I will pray for you."

They wanted their contributors' signatures on the ad. Their letter reads: "If you fear retribution, please give yourself a pseudonym, such as 'SF Pastor' or 'Midwest DRE,' etc." What I want to know is, if you believe in a cause so much, why would you fear retribution? If you believe a cause is just, don't hide! Stand up straight and tall and declare yourself a heretic! Your bishop might not know you by your pseudonym, but God knows! And he's got to be disappointed.

Email the Quixote Center (qc@quixote.org) in the spirit of loving charity and tell them where they are wrong about women's ordination. When you write, do not be rude. Make your argument in a calm, loving way. Yes, Jesus was righteously angry at the moneychangers for turning His Father's house into a den of theives. And you and I and everyone else who adheres to what Holy Mother Church teaches has a right to be angry with folks such as this. However, our duty to our wayward brothers and sisters is to respond to them in love. Choose your words carefully, boys and girls!

Maybe Catholic Answers or someone like that can get it together to take out an ad in support of the pope and the magisterium. I would send money for that ad. And proudly sign my name.

No comments: