Tuesday, August 09, 2005

My conversion on abortion.

I feel the need to post this here. I have told this story to 8th graders and I saw some lights go on. That gives me comfort.

I used to be one of those wishy-washy Catholics who said, "I would never have an abortion, but who am I to tell someone else they can't?"

My husband and I met in college and when we were home on breaks we lived an hour and a half away from each other. WE used to see each other every weekend, so we spent a lot of time in the car. One December we were going to his parenst' house after a Christmas party with my extnded family on my mom's side. I remember we were on Route 202 north of Flemington, NJ near the Wawa when I started thinking about abortion. Well, it was really God starting a conversation. I thought, "I could never have one, but who am I to tell another woman she can't?"

The reply came: "Well, why wouldn't you have an abortion?"

"Because I believe it's a baby and I couldn't kill my baby."

"OK. Well, what if oyu see a guy holding a gun to another guy's head? Aren't you obliged to do something about it? Maybe you don't try to get the gun away, but don't you at least call the police?"

"Yes, of course I would."

"What is the differnce?"

There was suddenly no air in the car. There IS no difference between that baby whose mother is about to make a bad choice and that hostage whose captor is about to make a bad choice.

I breathed again. And then God asked me, "What are you going to do about it?"

That's the part I'm still struggling with. When asked, or when the debate comes up, I am unapologetically pro-life in all instances. I donate to pro-Life charities. I have been on the March for Life.

As I type this, the thing I realize I lack in my efforts is prayer to end abortion, to convert the hearts of women who are considering this. To pray for the doctors who perform these procedures.

Not praying enough is a flaw of mine best served dissecting in another post. I would just like to ask you, gentle reader, "What are you going to do about it?"

No comments: