Saturday, April 01, 2006

I worry for Katie Holmes


I know it is probably a sign that I am too much interested in the lives of celebrities. But, I am worried about Katie. I know, she's 26 and she can do what she wants. I think that what bothers me most is that she is Catholic and now she's getting into this Scientology cult. Yes. I said cult.

Anyhow, this via the American Papist: At In the Light of the Law, Edward R. Peters, blogging canon lawyer, says that it is not likely that the TomKat child could be baptized.

So, I'm publishing here a prayer from the St. Monica Sodality which was originally printed with the permission of the Diocese of Cleveland.

First, backbround on St. Monica. St. Monica is the mother of St. Augustine. St. Augustine, as you may well know, was not a model Christian youth. He was involved with heretics, had a child out of wedlock, and thought he was just too smart for all of this Christianity stuff.

Well, his good old mom followed him all around the Roman Empire pleading with him to return to God, bugging every bishop she could get to talk to her to talk to her son. One priest said to her, "The son of so many tears cannot perish."

Finally, she was able to work on St. Ambrose enough to get him to talk to Augustine and he turned around. Augustine went on to repent of his former life and become one of the Church's greatest saints.

My personal St. Monica glory story is that I prayed for her intercesssion for my mom and one of my brothers for a long time. Mom is now back in the Church and receives the sacraments regularly. My brother, well, he goes to Mass. Now, if I can just get her to work on my dad and other brother (they're tougher cases)....

So, here is the prayer. Use it to pray for Katie or for anyone else you may want St. Monica to work on to get them back to the Church.

Eternal and merciful Father, I give You thanks for the gift of Your Divine Son Who suffered, died, and rose for all mankind. I thank You also for my Catholic Faith and ask Your help that I may grow in fidelity by prayer, by works of charity and penance, by reflection on Your Word amd by regular participation in the Sacraments of Penance and Holy Eucharist.

You gave St. Monica a spirit of selfless love manifested in her constant prayer for her son Augustine. Inspired by her boundless confidence in Your power to move hearts, and by the success of her prayer, I ask for the grace to imitate her constancy in my prayer for (name(s)) who no longer share(s) in the intimate life of Your Catholic family. Grant through my prayer and witness that (he/she/they)may be open to the promptings of Your Holy Spirit, to return to loving union with Your Church. Grant also that my prayer be ever hopeful and that I may never judge another, for you alone can read hearts. I ask this throught Christ, Our Lord. Amen.

No comments: