Sunday, August 06, 2006

Archbishop Sheen was right

Icon of St. Monica By Matthew D. Garrett, http://www.holy-icons.com/

He said something to the effect of people don't hate the Church; they hare what they think the Church is.

I was down at my Dad's today for a small birthday party for him: Dad, stepmom, stepbrother, me, DH and the boys. After dinner, my stepmom asked if I was still blogging. I said I was, but with less frequency and about less controversial things (don't tangle with the SSPX unless you're willing to devote the rest of your life to your blog.). Dad then says something to the effect of: "I can't get into something that excludes half the population." I said, somewhat perplexed, "Do you mean of the Church?" "Of the world," he said. He's talking about women's ordination, which I have posted about before, but you can read my take on the Pittsburgh happening two posts down.

I started to defend the Church's teaching, really to educate my lapsed Catholic father (now attending an Episcopal church) what the Church teaches about the priesthood and women, but he wasn't listening. I said, "You're not listening. You can't start this conversation and then not listen to the other side." He pretty much said he wasn't listening. He'd had his mind made up, you see.

It's frustrating to have someone just launch an ad hominem attack on the Church and then not want to debate the article of contention. especially when the attacker is your dad and he knows you love God's Church.

So, I am making Dad and the rest of the lapsed members of my family the subject of a novena to St. Monica, whose feast day is August 27. I'll be starting on August 19. Please pray with me for them and here is the prayer:

PRAYER TO ST. MONICA:
Dear St. Monica, troubled wife and mother, many sorrows pierced your heart
during your lifetime. Yet, you never despaired or lost faith. With confidence,
persistence, and profound faith, you prayed daily for the conversion of your
beloved husband, Patricius, and your beloved son, Augustine;
your prayers were answered.

Grant me that same fortitude, patience, and trust in the Lord. Intercede for me,
dear St. Monica, that God may favorably hear my plea for
(mention your petition)
and grant me the grace to accept His Will in all things, through Jesus Christ,
our Lord, in the unity of the Holy Spirit, one God, forever and ever. Amen.

Remember, dear St. Monica, the joy that flooded your heart when Augustine, the son of
your prayers and tears, turned his life over to the Lord.

Please present our novena petitions before God in Whose presence you stand. Obtain
for us, if it be His holy Will, the graces we request through your intercessory power,
that we may experience the happiness of answered prayer. Amen.

No comments: